All I want for Christmas is.....

All I wanted to do was make a batch of our Christmas fudge. We've done it every year around this time ever since I can remember, and nothing was going to stop me from doing so again this year--not even when my mother told me that we couldn't use our traditional recipe because it uses Marshmallow Creme, and Marshmallow Creme contains the deadly (I'm serious) high fructose corn syrup. So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to make my own Marshmallow Creme--simple enough, right? As I began to get out the ingredients, I pulled out the "light corn syrup" as required, and discovered, to my utter annoyance, that this also contained high fructose corn syrup!! Off I went to my mom, asking her if we had any corn syrup of another brand. She replied that we did not, and that she did not even realize that the corn syrup contained HFCS. :P So back I went to the computer to find a recipe or appropriate substitute for light corn syrup. I finally found one, and soon had a jar of amber-colored liquid sitting on the counter; my corn syrup substitute. That went into the Marshmallow Creme recipe, and that into our traditional fudge recipe. All that, just for fudge. *sigh* Oh, but it was worth it...

2 comments:

    On 12:23 PM, December 28, 2007 Anonymous said...

    Wow kristen! you sure were determined! i wish i could have been there to taste your final product. :P I miss you all terribly! Next time we get together we will have to make fudge or cookies or ice cream or something! ;) WITHOUT the HFCS. hehe I wish you could come here...:( I miss you!! All right, miss you, love you and talk to you later! ;)

     

    Haha! I wish you could have been there, too! When you come down here this spring we'll definitely have to take over the kitchen (and when/if we come visit you all in May). ;)
    Love you too, Traci!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum